Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Photographer Postcards

I started receiving postcards from wedding photographers. The thing is, they didn't all trickle in over the last few months, they came together in a flood. I already have a photographer, but I decided to collect the postcards anyway, they give me a chance to see how well people sell their image. Here are my ratings so far (sorry for the blurry images):

1. Sweet Monday The imagery is simple and modern, they matched the logo on their postcard with the logo on the mailing label. They also put a personalized real-written message on the card. Unfortunately, they are really expensive for all their personalization and they put it right on the postcard which will probably repel visitors a little--but also might give them real interest immediately. Also, their website has a 3rd word in it which makes it minorly hard to remember.


2. Norris Photo Then pictures look nice and the quality looks good. These are the kind of pictures though that make me question my choices like "should I have chosen a simpler service or different venue" so if I had seen it before I made any decisions I would like it better.

3. William Innes This is getting into the I would never choose group. This particular postcard is a little too artsy of a picture for me. It kind of looks to me like the bride is dead and a little too much watch showing on the groom. The back picture is fine but I don't know, it sort of reminds me of a stock photo. The website turns me back to them a little because I like the pictures in the galleries. I also recognize some of the venues. If my prices were this high though, I wouldn't advertise it right on the site "Our collections range from $2,500 to $8,100."

4.The Image is apparently actually a dress store now that I look at it. The website needs help. Plus, it took me a long time to realize that it was "TheImageBridal not TheLmagebridal. I realize that doesn't make any sense. The real problem with this postcard isn't even their fault, it's just that the post mark across the top looks horrible. The other problem is that the flipside is totally boring. The frontside is just not somethng that makes me think "exclusive wedding dress." The location confirms this.

5. Video Keepsakes and Photography has WAY too much going on. The card is oversized and it has people walking down what looks like a street at Warner Bros Studio. There is word art all over the place and it has a catchphrase that they could lose "Hello Knotties!" What?! Who says that? The otherside isn't much better, they say they work for hollywood but omg...check out the mouse-over on the pictures! I wouldn't consider this place, I'd rather have no pictures at all


My photographer is Adam of Embrace Life Photography. I found him on Facebook, his ad was targeted to me at the right time. He's a great guy, but also he is technologically saavy. When we met him he tried to get to know us. He has some pretty cool looking albums that he works with too. I talked to him about his ads on Facebook and discovered some things that social network does that others don't. Very interesting.

*Disclaimer: I have never worked with these photographers, I base my decisions solely on the postcards I received and the websites they have.

1 comment:

Admin said...

Hi,

This is Gary From Video Keepsakes. I saw your post and I have to say your information is very helpful.

We really don't have a way to figure out what atracts a bride and groom, oversize was suggested to use since the Postcard company says the small ones are thrown away.

The Knot suggested us use the term Knottie, so you would know how you got it (by signing up and checking allow 3rd party vendors)

The roll-overs on the website, well Flash sites are not Google friendly, and we do want to be searched, so we had to do things differently.

We are actually very high end producers, which you would have seen with any of our videos and still work, yet you can't judge a book by the cover, and with so many vendors to choose from, I guess we need to change some first impressions if we want people to go further!

Many brides do, and we have produced hundreds of weddings in the last 2 years, so I guess we can't catch everyone's eye, but we are going to try.

Thanks again for the review, I would have never known!

Gary
www.vki-party.com
35mm Digital Film Weddings