Sunday, March 15, 2009

Bridal Shower


Yesterday Joey's Aunts held a bridal shower for me at a Chinese restaurant. It was a fun party! The group was mismatched with friends and family from across Southern California. I knew that 90% of the people who attended would not know each other. At first I thought it might be weird, but we're all adults and everyone was able to fend for themselves and meet new people. I heard there were even a few new friends made!

Our waiter was a card. He said that he just loved weddings and wedding events and showers and stuff. He told us that as Man of Honor for his friend's wedding, he had to organize a shower and bachelorette party. Because of this, he embarrassed himself when a buff-looking police officer entered the restaurant. He asked the police officer if he was here for the bridal party. The police officer, embarrassed wondered why. The waiter then asked the police officer if he was also a stripper. Needless to say, the police officer (who was not a stripper) did not attend the party. To his great delight though, we did provide him and dining mate with a cupcake.

I got a lot of fun gifts at the shower, but the one that was the strangest and most wondered about were the Himalayan Salt Plates from Robin. Robin and I talk online at work when we have free time. One day, she told me about these Himalayan Salt Plates and, thinking they were really neat, I added them to the registry.

Robin warned me in advance that these plates were really heavy. I didn't know quite HOW heavy they were until I held them in my hands. WOW! Now that is a workout and a half. Then next thing I learned about the salt plates was that they absorb heat and can be used as presentation, tabletop cooking and even a tray for fresh fruit, meats and cheeses! The plate seasons and cooks all at once! I'm really excited about this because it is so versatile.

Here are some things I am interested in trying with my new salt plate:

-Freeze a Himalayan salt plate for two hours. Scoop cream or sorbet atop. (just like salty nuts on your hot fudge sundae!)
-Getting back to basics, use it as a serving platter for cheeses, dried meats, or your daily dose of pickled ginger and wasabi. When used as a plate for moist food such as apple slices and mozzarella, the food acquires an enhanced salt and mineral flavoring.
-If musty corners of your soul crave drama, try serving up an entire meal using large round or square Himalayan salt plates. Moist foods take on a touch of saltiness, dry foods do not, and everything glows with the otherworldly power of the ancient world (see Ogling below).

The best part is you can wash it and use it again!

2 comments:

Becca said...

Those sound really cool! I would love to try the ice cream idea. Have you made anything with them yet?

Sorry I missed your shower - we were in Vegas visiting Jon's fam. I can't wait for your wedding!

Carrie said...

I haven't tried them yet, I don't have enough room in my apartment to take out our gifts so they are packed until we move or I go through my old stuff and get rid of something.